3.28.2008

the senses

But is it such a bad thing to live like this for just a little while? Just for a few months of one's life, is it so awful to travel through time with no greater ambition than to find the next lovely meal? Or to learn how to speak a language for no higher purpose than that it pleases your ear to hear it? Or to nap in a garden, in a patch of sunlight, in the middle of the day, right next to your favorite fountain? And then do it again the next day?

Because the world is so corrupted, misspoken, unstable, exaggerated and unfair, one should trust only what one can experience with one's own senses, and this makes the senses stronger in Italy than anywhere in Europe. This is why, [Luigi] Barzini says, Italians will tolerate hideously incompetent generals, presidents, tyrants, professors, bureaucrats, journalists and captains of industry, but will never tolerate incompetent "opera singers, conductors, ballerinas, courtesans, actors, film directors, cooks, tailors..." In a world of disorder and disaster and fraud sometimes only beauty can be trusted. Only artistic excellence is incorruptible. Pleasure cannot be bargained down. And sometimes the meal is the only currency that is real.

- Elizabeth Gilbert
(thanks, jessi! and all those who suggested her to me!)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been watching people read this book on the subway, in coffee shops, etc...and I've had a few people say "I think you would love it" but I couldn't help thinking a few things:
1. I hate self help books
2. so she travels, so what?
3. I don't want to read a love story (and we all know, thats how this one ends...its in the title)
4. she's writing what I'm living and I'm not ready to read it yet. I want to get THROUGH it first

So i read some political works etc first...and now I'm finally reading Est Pray Love....and i admit it...I'm enjoying it :-)
Glad you found it too